Lost FireTV Remote?
An alternative way to control your Fire TV is the official Remote App from Amazon. This article explains how to setup the App (available for iOS, Android and Amazon Hardware) and what features it has (with some bonus for Fire TV Stick users).
How to use the Remote App
It’s very easy to use the Fire TV Remote App because it’s similar to the normal hardware Remote.
- Click / Tap on the pad to select an item (so the same as the round button in the middle of the Remote
- The navigation buttons from the Remote (up / down / left / right) aren’t clicks but swipes on the pad of the Remote App (see pictures).
How to pair a Remote App with Fire TV
You have to do the following steps to pair the Remote App on your Phone with the Fire TV (Stick):
- Make sure that the Phone with App and the Fire TV are connected to the same Wi-Fi network
- Launch the app and select your Amazon Fire TV
- Your TV displays a code. Enter this code on your Phone.
Done. You can see all of the remote apps that are paired with your Amazon Fire TV device under “Settings > Controllers and Bluetooth Devices > Fire TV Remotes”.
Do games work with the Remote App?
Amazon says: “The Fire TV Remote App is not designed to play games. Some games might work, but performance will vary. The app does not currently support Second Screen or Display Mirroring.” So if you really want to play games you should better use the regular Remote or the Gamepad (there are also Gamepad available for Fire TV).
Download links and supported OS
You can download the Remote Apps for the Fire TV and Fire TV Stick (1.4.1 or higher) here:
- Amazon Fire phone (Amazon App Store)
- Fire Tablets (with a microphone) (Amazon App Store)
- Android 4.0 or higher (Google Play Store)
- iOS 7.0 or higher (Apple App Store)